Wednesday, July 29, 2009

The weekend can't come soon enough

Ok, you had to know it would come eventually....that little dose of reality that reminds you of the real purpose of the trip....WORK. That has hit this week. It has been a typical "busy season" week for me. Unfortunately, I can't say the same for some of my Australian colleagues, who have commented on my "American work ethic" and not meant it in a complimentary fashion. I'm relatively stressed out, which shouldn't be a surprise to any of you who have seen me in the heat of busy season. However, I'm trying really hard to soak up the Aussie nature and be more laid back. I'm just not sure I can do it. Maybe I need to stay here much longer than 3 months to make sure I get that very valuable trait. :)

Anyway, the weekend.....sooooo excited for it to come. The agenda entails (after some work on Saturday morning, I'm sure) viewing an Aussie rules football match on Saturday night and then....oh yes....wait for it.....surfing lessons on Sunday. I know. I was just commenting on how cold it is here for surfing. However, I figure when in Rome.... And I'm not sure what it is right now with me and the excessive use of dots. Please forgive me. I'm sure this is annoying someone. Probably the result of too much caffeine combined with too much work and too much running. Anyway, I have no idea what Aussie rules football entails, but I know I'm supposed to "cheer" for the Sydney Swans (apparently the word "root" has a different meaning here) as they strive to win their "match" (it's not a game, apparently). All in all, it promises to be a very Australian weekend, which only seems appropriate given my location.

I mentioned earlier something about running. I'm sure some of you who know me well are wondering what that is all about. In all honesty, it's an effort to help counter act some of the more "empty" activities I find myself participating in, as well as just generally being motivated by my new friends here. There are 3 of us who get up at 6am and run out to Sydney Harbor (home of the famous bridge and Opera House) and back. It's about a 3 mile loop we've been doing, and it is absolutely surreal to run past those amazing sites as the sun is hitting the horizon behind them.

Additionally, while we're on the topic of running, next weekend is Australia's largest "fun run" called City 2 Surf. (www.city2surf.com.au) The run starts in the heart of Sydney and winds 14k (approx. 9 miles) with a finish at Bondi Beach. They claim 70,000 people participate in this. My new friends here have all signed up to do this. Some are intending to run the entire thing (and some I have more faith in that happening for than others), while others of us (myself included) have committed to do it more for the fun of it - which isn't likely to include running 9 miles. Anyway, there are many folks from work who participate and Uncle Price is generous enough to throw a big party at the beach for all his grunts afterwards. It should be, needless to say, a fabulous time.

Ok, must get to bed. 6am comes awfully early when it entails running. Until next time....

No comments:

Post a Comment