Tuesday, July 14, 2009

A little vocabulary lesson

So, I'm realizing that a lot of things are different here - neither better or worse, just different. One of these things are common words used for various things. Tonight, I learned a new term - lady boy. Any takers on what this might mean? This is the Aussie slang for transvestite. Now, why this came up in conversation, it's hard to say, but it did. So, consider yourself a little more cultured now. :)

Another thing that is different here is how they deal with cell phones - or "mobiles" as they're called here. Nothing here is divided into packages by minutes. Rather, it's based on dollar values. So far, what this means to me is that they don't want you to really know how much it costs you to talk on your mobile. Well, I signed up for a plan that gives me $xxx value. We'll see how it goes.

I went tonight with some new friends to see The Proposal. It was a cute movie - a little unrealistic, but still entertaining. How can you go wrong with Sandra Bullock and an ending with a big kiss?

I have attached a few pics of my apartment and the views not far from my apartment. These are all along Darling Harbour. I hope you enjoy!











1 comment:

  1. Obviously it has been a few years but the cell phone actually worked much better (in my opinion) than in America. The best part is that when family and friends call you it doesn't cost you a thing (at least that is how it used to be). Texting is the best way to communicate down there because it is so cheap and saves your $$/minutes. Hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete