Thursday, September 3, 2009

What I love about Sydney.....

I promise, there will be another post in the coming days. Too much fun planned for the weekend to not tell you about it. However, this post is dedicating to a little reflection that has been triggered by the great travel book writer - Bill Bryson.

I've spent the week in Blacktown, NSW. This is a suburb of Sydney and maybe only familiar to anyone in the US because it was the 'burb where the softball games were held during the 2000 Olympic games. I spend an hour on a train to get to Blacktown (and, consequently, an hour to get home, too). During this commute time, I have been doing some personal reading. Already finished one book this week. Began the next. Or, should I say, restarted the next. In a Sunburned Country is Bill Bryson's comedic tale of his travels in Australia.

On my train ride home tonight, I was reading chapter 4, which seems to be all about Sydney. One particular paragraph really resonated with my current reality, and I thought it best to share it with you:

[In reference to his time at Circular Quay, the main stop for commuter ferries as well as the space between the lovely Opera House and also lovely Harbour Bridge] "An air of cheerful industriousness stuffuses the scene. These are people who get to live in a safe and fair-minded society, in a climate that makes you strong and handsome, in one of the world's great cities - and they get to come to work on a boat from a children's storybook, across a sublime plane of water, and each morning glance up from their Heralds and Telegraphs to see that famous Opera House and inspiring bridge and the laughing face of Luna Park. No wonder they look so damned happy."

Honestly, everytime I pass the Opera House and Harbour Bridge, I still want to take heaps of pictures of each. There are friends I've made who have been here 3 years who still do this as well. It never gets old - seeing that majestic sight still stirs something in people who've been looking at it for 3 years. So, here are a couple for your viewing pleasure.

Ok, so as I thought of this and reflected, I compiled a list of things I'm going to miss about being here when I am home. I'm not sure that there's much to the order here, but maybe....

1. Living near enough to the beach that I can go there every weekend

2. Lamingtons - google it, but it's a cake-esque thing

3. Scotch Fingers - shortbread biscuits - best served with nutella

4. Not having to drive anywhere

5. Did I mention the beach?

Ok, there are other things, but my roommate just got home and there's a pushy New Yorker waiting on us to go to dinner, so I must cut it short for now. (Jonathan, if you're reading this, know that I am only speaking the truth in love.)

Until next time....oh, and you'll want to read the next one. This weekend involves sailing! Yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment