Sunday, September 6, 2009

Another reason I love it here.....

.....in a word.....SAILING!

That was the highlight activity of the weekend. One of my new friends here has become a certified crew member for sailing large racing yachts while he's been here. So, with a little (although not much) coaxing, a group of us encouraged him to hook us up. The result? See for yourself.....










It was a lovely afternoon out on the water - including the open seas. We started out in the harbour and headed out past the heads and into the ocean. No whales were spotted, but it was still a nice time. Some of the folks on the boat were a little queezy in the swells, but my roots prevailed and my stomach held strong. Granted, lake life is nothing like ocean life, but I'll still attribute my feeling well to that.


Then, today (Sunday) I just spent some low key time wandering around a bit - making my way by foot across the Harbour Bridge into Kirribilli. This provided me the opportunity to see the bridge and Opera House from a different side, literally. Grabbed lunch at the Freckle Face Cafe and chilled out in a quaint little park where you just feel like you go to picnic if you really live there. Ended the evening with "family dinner" at my place, where I made tacos for 4 Brits, 1 Canadian and 5 Americans. All in all, a great day!




View from the otherside of the harbour.


So, to continue the list of things I will miss.....

6. The culture that the water brings to an area

7. The coffee - it is so amazing here. Starbucks will never suffice after this.

8. A cold day in winter = 13 degrees celsius

Ok, well, a run is calling my name in the morning. Next race is in 2 weeks and I haven't been running since City 2 Surf. It's a problem. The next race is called the Bridge Run, which takes you across the Harbour Bridge. 9K. Approximately 5 miles. Should be a good time. On that note, I'm out. Until next time......which will include stories from Melbourne.



No comments:

Post a Comment